A1C and LDL-C efficacy without systemic absorption for your adult patients with T2DM and primary hyperlipidemia
Dosage in primary hyperlipidemia and T2DM
- The recommended dose of Welchol Tablets in adults, whether used as monotherapy or in combination with an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (statin), is 6 tablets once daily or 3 tablets twice daily
- Welchol Tablets should be taken with a meal and liquid
- Welchol for Oral Suspension is available as an alternative—3.75 g dose that mixes with 4-8 ounces of water, fruit juice, or diet soft drinks and should be taken with a meal
- Welchol can be dosed at the same time as an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (statin) or the two drugs can be dosed apart
- After initiation of Welchol, lipid levels should be analyzed within 4 to 6 weeks
Dosage form and strength
Due to tablet size, Welchol for Oral Suspension is recommended for, but not limited to, use in the pediatric population as well as in any patient who has difficulty swallowing tablets.
- 625 mg tablets are off-white, oval, film-coated, and imprinted with "Sankyo" and "C01" on one side
Welchol is contraindicated in patients with:
- A history of bowel obstruction
- Serum TG concentrations >500 mg/dL
- A history of hypertriglyceridemia-induced pancreatitis
Please see Important Safety Information about Welchol below.